This mighty arugula salad is sweet & earthy. The light whole-grain mustard vinaigrette is so flavorful and the crispness of the apples are so refreshing. While any apples will work for this recipe, we recommend using Granny Smiths for the tartness & extra crunch. Forget your usual picnic potato salad and gives this one a try!
what you'll need
For the salad:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 pound red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¾ inch chunks
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 scallions, sliced thin (plus a little reserved for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (or roughly chopped) – walnuts could work, too
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (tabasco or whatever you like!)
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Prep + Cook
- For the salad: Place sweet potatoes, red potatoes, and salt in a large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and let cool to room temperature, about 15 – 30 minutes. When cooled, combine potatoes with apples, arugula, and scallions in a large bowl.
- For the dressing: Meanwhile, combine vinegar, mustard, honey, and hot sauce together in a small bowl. Whisking together constantly, drizzle in oil.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with sliced almonds & remaining scallions. Serve & ENJOY!
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Jennifer Kuhar