I love discovering a new salad combination that outshines my expectations. I was recently inspired by a story in good ole Martha Stewart’s Living magazine and I’m so glad I gave this variation a try. To be honest, I have never grilled Halloumi cheese, and I can now say it is absolutely delicious and incredibly yummy! I opted for using Mache Rosette lettuce because of it’s subtle sweetness making these chic salad greens a little gourmet treat. And who knew they are also nick-named the “corn-lettuce” so there couldn’t be a more perfect match-up, right? The heartiness of the grilled Halloumi cheese gives a lot of depth to this simple salad mixture and the zesty lime dressing just pulls it all together. I can’t think of another salad that screams more summer than this one…..at least not yet!
What you'll need
- 4 ounces Mache Rosette Lettuce
- 4 ears of corn
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice + 1 ½ tbsp lime zest, divided leaving some for garnish
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced garlic, about 2 cloves
- 6 ounces Halloumi cheese, ¼ inches slices
- Salt & Pepper
Prep + Cook
- Boil a large pot of water with a little butter & salt. Add ears of corn and let boil for about 15-20 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Whisk together lime juice and lime zest in a small bowl.
- In a small skillet, heat ¼ cup olive oil. Add garlic and cook stirring often until garlic is lightly golden, about 1 minutes or less. Whisk together oil mixture into lime mixture and season with salt & pepper.
- Grill the Halloumi cheese slices on an indoor cast iron grill or outside on a traditional grill, about 2 minutes on each side or until you begin to see some char. Set aside salad for when ready to assemble salads.
- Holding each ear of corn, slice the corn from the ears into a medium-sized bowl. Add the halved cherry tomatoes along with 2 tbsp of the dressing. Gently toss to combine.
- To assemble the salad, plate a small bunch of the Mache greens, next add a scoop or two of the corn and tomato mixture, then add 2-3 grilled Halloumi cheese slices. Lastly, drizzle with remaining dressing then sprinkle with a pinch of remaining lime zest and ENJOY!
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Jennifer Kuhar