It’s been several hot days in a row and thanks to this old house, our air conditioning is not working (boo!!), and so we really wanted to keep it simple and not add to the hot box. I had some beautiful rainbow beets in the fridge and thought to pull together something refreshing. Reaching for a few ingredients, we created this simple, yet elegant, roasted rainbow beet salad. We braved turning on the oven for about 15 minutes total, just enough to roast these naturally gorgeous beets and it was well worth it! Added in some tang with the feta, walnuts for crunch, and my favorite golden raisins as a little surprise. We then topped with a very simple orange, honey & Dijon vinaigrette making for a refreshing and delightful salad! This is perfect for a light & easy dinner or a lovely lunch if prepped and vinaigrette stored separate. We definitely have a new summer salad favorite!
What you'll need
For the Beets
- 1 bunch medium beets (about 3 – 4), peeled & sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
For the Salad
- 3 ounces mixed greens (We like the Organic Girl Super Greens blend)
- 3 ounces feta cheese
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup micro-greens, optional (we love using Black Pearl Gardens mild mix)
- 1 ½ medium oranges, cut into ¼ inch slices and keep ½ orange reserved for the vinaigrette
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced shallots
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ orange, freshly squeezed
Prep + Cook
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lay a piece of parchment paper on a jelly roll pan.
- Thoroughly wash & peel the beets simply by cutting off the exterior. Slice beets to desired thickness and lay on top of parchment, distributed evenly. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt & pepper.
- Place beets in to the oven and roast for about 8-10 minutes, turning pan once to ensure evenly roasted.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together ingredients for the vinaigrette until emulsified. (You can also put all ingredients together in a ball jar and shake until emulsified.)
- Remove beets once crispy but still slightly tender, and let cool.
- Assemble the salad by adding the greens, chopped walnuts, feta, red onion, golden raisins, & roasted beets. Lay sliced oranges on the side & top with some micro-greens (optional). Drizzle with the orange vinaigrette, serve & ENJOY!
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Jennifer Kuhar