Tonight I was inspired by the Epicurious Weeknight Cookbook and had worked this recipe into my meal plan for the week. Honestly, without a meal plan, I’m not sure that I’d be getting dinner on the table most nights. We’ve got plenty of distractions with two kids under 4 and a crazy Vizsla to add the mix. This recipe has become one of my go-to weeknight meals because we love it so much, it is easy to make and we get tasty lunch leftovers for the next day! This quick version of your local take-out is so much more satisfying and healthier, too. Add brown rice to stay a little healthier and you can also substitute tamari for the soy sauce if you are gluten-free. With a little meal prep the night before by cutting the broccoli into florets and cutting the chicken thighs ahead, you can pull this dish together quite quickly making for a great weeknight dinner!
[ingredients title=”What you’ll need”]
- 1 cup jasmine (or brown) rice
- 1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (breasts, or a mix) trimmed, patted dry, and cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 large clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
[directions title=”Prep + Cook”]
- Cook rice with a pinch of salt according to package directions.
- Place sesame seeds on a small jelly roll pan and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for about 8-10 minutes until slightly golden.
- Set a steamer basket in a pot filled with 1″ water, cover pot and bring water to a boil. Then, uncover, add broccoli and steam until crisp-tender, about 5-6 minutes. Drain & set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk cornstarch, pepper, and 1 ½ teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Add chopped chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken in batches and cook turning occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and a light brown crust forms, about 7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Combine honey, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha, garlic ginger, sesame oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, and remaining salt in a medium bowl. Transfer sauce to skillet and cook 1 minute to reduce slightly. Return chicken to skillet, toss in sauce to coat, and cook until sauce is reduce and thickened, about another 2 minutes.
- Fold in steamed broccoli, toss to coat, and remove from heat.
- Serve over prepared rice then garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Jennifer Kuhar