Everything about this salad brings about a little Fall inspiration. From the cozy flavors of the roasted butternut squash to the simple, yet complex Za’atar spice. The colors of this salad are just beautiful when assembled and I simply cannot wait to serve this little twist on tradition at Thanksgiving Dinner next week! The juicy pomegranate seeds & crumbled goat cheese add just enough brightness along with small little burst of tang to complement the sweetness of the squash, while the toasted Pepitas throw in a little crunch. This is a great tossed salad for a meatless Monday, or even a beautiful showstopper salad for Thanksgiving dinner. You can also make as a single side dish by eliminating the mixed greens and serve alongside your mains.
If entertaining on Thanksgiving or meal-prepping ahead, make the roasted squash the evening before along with toasting your Pepitas, whisking your dressing together and chopping the parsley for fast assembly the next day. This salad will then come together in literally minutes!
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch pieces (about 4 cups) or about three 10 oz bags of frozen and cubed Organic Earthborn butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons za’atar spice blend
- 3 ounces mixed greens
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ⅓ cup unsalted pepitas, toasted
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Adjust oven rack to the lowest position and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil in medium-large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Lay squash in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast the squash until well browned and tender, about 25 – 30 minutes, while making sure to flip halfway through the roasting.
- Once the squash has finished roasting, remove and sprinkle with the za’atar spice and let cool for at least 10-15 minutes.
- For the salad dressing: whisk shallot, lemon juice, honey and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper together in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Adjust with salt & pepper to taste.
- For the salad assembly: Mix the green with the roasted butternut squash and toasted pepitas. In bowl or on platter, sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and crumbled goat cheese and serve with the dressing.
Makes 4 servings
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Jennifer Kuhar