There is one thing that my mother-in-law got me hooked on early on when I met my husband….her mother’s secret buttercream frosting! Whenever it became time for birthday celebrations or special occasions, I silently prayed she’d be making cupcakes with her signature frosting, and the truth is I still do. Fast forward a handful of years and I suppose I put in my dues, in part due to a few grand babies being added to the family, I was finally privied to the highly coveted recipe for this delicious and dangerously addicting frosting. It’s a little time consuming, and we are not going for healthy here, but worth the time & calories. Of course both of our daughters love this frosting on cupcakes, but my mother-in-law’s showstopper is a buttercream frosted white layer cake adorned with sweetened coconut flakes. The absolute best is when she adds a little lemon curd between the layers of white cake to add a little zing! Alright, time to just get into the recipe already.
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup butter flavored Crisco
- 1 pinch, salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a medium-sized pot, heat milk and whisk in flour over medium heat. Mix until smooth and thickens somewhat.
- Place plastic wrap on top of milk mixture so that a skin will not form. Let cool in refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of white sugar, unsalted butter, & Crisco. When milk mixture has cooled, add to sugar and butter mixture in the large bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Mix with a mixer until sugar fully dissolves and is nice and creamy. Frost cupcakes or cake, serve & ENJOY!
Frosts 1 Dozen Cupcakes or 1 small cake
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Jennifer Kuhar