All of us are on the go and the need for healthy snack options to keep your body fueled right throughout the day is key. I am often looking for bite-sized snacks to make that my kids will love too and stumbled across some vegetarian Mollie Katzen inspiration recently. I bring you a tofu-nut bite sized snack that can easily be transformed into a meal.
This recipe will make 24-32 little balls depending on how small you make them giving you options for the week ahead and a little leeway for your meal planning. Make on the weekend to have an easy & healthy snack to reach for. Or, use some for a more substantial meal such as pasta & sauce or even simply with steamed vegetables and a nice miso sauce. These fuel bites are a simple and versatile solution to have on hand and kids love them!
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ pound firm tofu, mashed
- ½ cup almonds and or walnuts, finely chopped
- ½ cup fine bread crumbs (and or mixed with panko bread crumbs)
- salt to taste
- Cook the rice according to package directions while letting cook a little longer to ensure the rice is very soft and maybe even mushy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place a sheet of parchment paper on top of a baking sheet.
- Place the soy sauce, honey and half the mashed tofu in a very strong blender, or food processor, and add about ¾ of the cooked rice. Blend ingredients into a thick paste.
- Place the remaining tofu in a medium-sized bowl. Add the blended mixture, along with the nuts, bread crumbs, and remaining rice and mix. Add salt to taste.
- Using your hands, form the batter into about 1-inch size balls and line on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes and serve warm. Feel free to dip bites in a little honey or yogurt & ENJOY!
Makes 24-32 fuel bites
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Jennifer Kuhar