This week has been so warm and wonderful, it is such a nice change from the cold and dark days of winter. My mind is drifting to the lake, sailing, outdoor gatherings with friends and the general party that is summer in Michigan. When you only have three really warm months in the year, you’re allowed to turn them all into one big bash! I wanted, no, I needed a smoothie today that captured that feeling. It is a frosty, smooth drink, with just the right amount of citrus. It is also only around 275 calories for 12 ounces! There are two ways you can prepare this with or without protein powder, for kids or if you want to omit that part, so pick which option you want and go for it! I have a feeling this is going to be an afternoon tradition.
[ingredients title=”What you’ll need”]
- Blender, bullet or something else that can spin and crush ice really fast!
- 6 ounces (1 cup) orange juice (or a freshly squeezed orange if your feeling up to it)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (used Fage 0%)
- 1 heaping Cup of Ice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
For kids, or without the protein powder
- 6 ounces (1 cup) orange juice
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 heaping cup of ice
- 1 teaspoon honey (you can add more f your kids like it sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or use a vanilla Greek yogurt and omit the flavoring)
[directions title=”Prep + Blend”]
* Note when blending, make sure you add the ice so that it is the closest to the blades of the blender. If you are using a regular blender this would be the bottom, if you are using a Bullet or a similar blender, you would add the ice last.
- Add all items to the blender.
- Blend, pulse, use smoothie setting, until you have reached the desired consistency.
This makes more than enough for one person. You can save half in the fridge, and give it a pulse or two when your ready to drink. Enjoy!
Share your creations with us by tagging #mixmytable
Author: Chelsea Crosby